Castletown’s former police station will move to Manx National Heritage’s ownership if Treasury gives its approval.
The heritage group expressed an interest in acquiring the building which was recently vacated by the police, which moved to the town’s civic centre.
The landmark building was designed by the architect McKay Hugh Baillie Scott and completed by 1901; it is the only police station he ever designed and was his final commission in the island before moving back to England to practise.
Its design includes a visual reference to Castle Rushen through the use of local limestone, in the cylindrical turret and its pyramidal roof.Â
The heritage group has invested substantially in the immediate harbourside area with redevelopment of the site which now with a branch of Costa coffee.
MNH said: ’It is a registered historic building within public ownership in the Castletown Conservation Area which, together with the recently restored Castlegate building, frames views towards Castle Rushen which have been sketched, drawn, painted and photographed for more than 400 years.
’MNH feels this building deserves to remain in public ownership and to be as accessible by the public as possible. MNH has previously worked to secure the future of the setting of the Castle and the “Quarterdeck” area through the regeneration of the area and it has interests in three other important aspects of Manx cultural heritage within the town.’
MNH ’would seek to use and develop this important historic asset to sustain its heritage values and protect its significance. This would include facilitating public access and increasing understanding of Baillie Scott and his associations with the Isle of Man.’
Story from IOM Online